Home Life

by Tim van Rijt, Robbert Elshout & Arthur Thijssen

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Home life in Antwerp (Belgium)

Hello everyone! I am Arthur, a student at University Zuyd Heerlen.Our assignment is to write something about your home life. So I am going to tell you something about Antwerp (Belgium), the place where I grew up. Well I grew up in 3 different countries. I was born in the Netherlands but after 4 years we moved to Germany for a reason I still don’t know. After living there for approximately 2 years we moved to our last destination ,Belgium, to be more accurate Antwerp.


For more photos click here

Antwerp is like the second biggest city in Belgium,after Brussels (the “main base” of the European Union). It has a population of +- 500.000. People in Antwerp speak Flamish (almost the same as dutch) but this isn’t the case for whole Belgium. People in the south tend to speak French and the north speaks Flamish.

But anyway lets talk about some things that interests you. How is the nightlife in Antwerp? Well… I must say its superb! There are all kinds of different genre clubs. Dance, house, RNB, hiphop, lounge, rock and so on. Big club names in Antwerp’s nightlife are Café D’anvers, Hangar 26, Café Local and Industria. You guys probably wonder what a night in Antwerp looks like. Well me and my friends normally first eat something at Pizzahut or Quick (Mc Donalds wannabe). After have eaten pizza or french frites we catch a movie at Metropolis, the biggest cinema in Belgium (and Benelux). Movies i like to watch are Cruel intentions, American Psycho, A beautifull mind, The ring, LOTR and so on… I exactly like all kind of genres (comedy, horror, thriller…).


For more photos click here

Well after the movies it’s time to go clubbing. I , myself prefer going to clubs that play RNB and Hiphop music. Things like The game, The black eyed peas, Snoopdogg and Justin Timberlake. Thats why we go to Hangar 26 most often. It's a trendy, pretty large RNB disco with a nice atmosphere. By the way the booze here in Belgium is pretty good. As you probably know Belgium is THE beer country in the world. I presume you guys know Jupiler, Stella Artois, Palm. The entrance price of a ticket here in Antwerp is about 8-15 euro (10-19 dollars) what I think is a reasonable price. But then again i have no clue what the prices in the US are. Around 6 AM the clubs are closing but most of the time I am leaving at 4 ‘o clock depending on how much fun i am having. After the clubbing we take a cab home (cause the buses don’t drive anymore at this time), this 20 minute drive costs me around 20 euro (26 dollars). What I think is way to expensive. That’s a small summary of things to do at night in Antwerp.


For more photos click here

What else does Antwerp has to offer except the great clubs. Well if you like shopping all day long this is the place to be! You will find all well-known clothing brands around here. Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Carhartt, Gucci, Versace, Hugo Boss, Levis, G-star…
I think Antwerp has like all the same brands as you guys in the US. The same thing goes for the junk food businesses. Like Mac Donalds of course and KFC, Pizzahut or the ice cream stores from Ben & Jerry’s.


For more photos click here

Let me tell you a little about myself before i go. Like I said my name is Arthur and I am 20 years old. Last year I studied international business at the University Maastricht but I quit the study after 4-5 month. So I started looking for something new. I always liked working with computers, designing webpages, making things with photoshop. Also the communication and marketing part sounded like music to my ears. The next thing to do was enrolling myself for the course and until now I don’t regret making this choice.

I hope i succeeded at giving you some information about where/how I live and what I do in my spare time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home